The Geotourism Forum was launched by Ecotourism Australia at the 2013 Global Eco Asia Pacific conference. It is a grouping of enthusiastic Ecotourism Forum members who are working to ‘add value’ to Australia’s nature-based tourism offering. The main purpose of the Geotourism Forum is to advise how best geotourism can be promoted and to further Ecotourism Australia’s interest in inspiring environmentally sustainable and culturally responsible tourism. Membership of the Geotourism Forum is open, at no additional cost, to any members of Ecotourism Australia who are interested in finding out more about geotourism or who have product offerings that are rich in landscape and geology features, all of which enhances visitor engagement, learning and enjoyment. Geology underpins almost all of a destination’s natural features and visitors are increasingly keen to learn about this distinctive part of the environment.
The benefits of joining the Geotourism Forum include the following.
- Becoming part of a networked grouping dedicated to the development and advocacy of geotourism with emerging links overseas, particularly China.
- The opportunity to contribute to geotourism policy development activity.
- The opportunity to highlight individual positioning in the geotourism sector through participation in Forum activities and engagement with Australia’s National Landscapes.
- Concessional registration fee for attendance at any Geotourism Forum meeting including the annual Global Eco Asia Pacific Conference.
- Priority opportunity to sponsor Forum meetings and other activities.
- The opportunity to be engaged in any designated Forum work plan activity through appointment to a working group.
- The opportunity to participate in the LinkedIn Discussion Group - Australian Geotourism Development.
- Access to information concerning latest publications and overseas conferences relating to geotourism.
Once registered with the Geotourism Forum, the member is able to designate a representative to attend all meetings of the Forum. The Forum is already planning for 2015 a number of designated meetings/workshops at locations which include Bathurst NSW and Brisbane, as well as part of the Asia Pacific Global Eco conference at Rottnest Island, WA in November.
The Forum Steering Committee comprises Ecotourism Australia members with extensive experience in geotourism. The Chairman is Dan Cove. He is supported by Angus M Robinson, Managing Partner, Leisure Solutions®; Ross Dowling, Foundation Professor of Tourism, Edith Cowan University; Rod Hillman, Chief Executive, Ecotourism Australia; Bruce Leaver, Chairman, Sapphire Coast Tourism; and Dr Young Ng, Chairman of the Association for Geoconservation, Hong Kong.
Ecotourism Australia is excited by this new initiative and sees the Geotourism Forum as the first of other Forums to be established, believing that other sectors in ecotourism can develop a strong voice and create a venue to share their ideas in the same way as leaders in geotourism have demonstrated.
If you are already a member of Ecotourism Australia and would like to join the Geotourism Forum, please contact the Ecotourism Australia office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the Forum, please do not hesitate to contact Rod Hillman, CEO of Ecotourism Australia, on 07 3252 1530.
If you would like to become part of the Geotourism Forum but are not a member of Ecotourism Australia yet, register now here.
No members found.