Australian Wildlife Adventures’ inspiring submission into the UNAA World Environment Day Climate Action Awards 2017
We would like to acknowledge one of our members, Australian Wildlife Adventures, on their submission in the UNAA World Environment Day Climate Action Awards 2017, highlighting their outstanding efforts to combat climate change.
Australian Wildlife Adventures are Advanced ECO Certified and a Climate Action Innovator in our Climate Action Certification Program.
Each year the United Nations Association of Australia has honored World Environment Day by presenting awards to individuals, organisations, schools, councils, businesses and media that are leading the way in environmental innovation. The awards highlight work being done by that sets a high standard for sustainability, enabling Australia to adapt and respond to climate change, and helping to move Australia to net zero emission. Moreover, the awards incorporate a Climate Collaboration Forum, a full day event providing climate stakeholders to showcase what they are doing to take action against climate change, to have their efforts acknowledged, and to take part in workshops to discuss what will need to be done to ensure future action.
This year Australian Wildlife Adventures entered the Climate Action Awards, and although they didn’t win, their submission highlighted their inspiring and continuous efforts in climate change action and sustainability.
Australian Wildlife Adventures is a family owned and operated business that offers diverse and interactive wildlife experiences across Australia, from budget camping adventures, small group tours, or private tours and charters.
A few of the achievements highlighted in Australian Wildlife Adventures submission include:
- Becoming a 100% carbon neutral business, offsetting its carbon footprint internally through environmental work and tree planting on their property at Coodlie Park Farm Retreat.
- The Future Forest Revegetation Program which has set aside 1/3 (2000 acres) of their property for environmental rehabilitation. In 2016 alone, they direct seeded 250 acres of native trees.
- Through installation of Solar Grid Systems they return 70% of their energy back to the national grid.
- Reduced shower water usage from 50,000 gallons to 2,500 gallons per year by building eco-friendly bucket showers in their Campground.
- Participating as a WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farmers) host, allowing volunteers to offset their own travel carbon footprints.
- In 2008, they launched their Educational School & Special Interest Group Programs hosting school groups to gain hands on experience and knowledge about the practical application of ‘carbon reduction’ initiatives.
This company provides new ideas and passion for introducing environmentally sustainable business practices, and are an inspiration for how other operators can become more sustainable as we face changes in climate.
The UNAA World Environment Day Climate Action Awards provide a great opportunity to receive recognition for sustainable practices, and we encourage our operators to consider applying in coming years.
Photos credited to: http://unaavictoria.org.au/world-environment-day-awards/the-awards/ and http://australianwildlifeadventures.com.au/