DAINTREE ECOLODGE & SPA ACHIEVES ADVANCED ECOTOURISM AND CLIMATE ACTION BUSINESS CERTIFICATION
Congratulations to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa for achieving Advanced Ecotourism and Climate Action Business Certification for their products, Lodge Accommodation and Guided Rainforest Walks.
Located in the magnificent World Heritage-listed Daintree Rainforest, the lodge has always been a place where sustainability drives business:
“Sustainability is not just a word that we toss around for brownie points with our guests. It is a concept that is at the core of who we are,” says the Daintree EcoLodge & Spa website.
Achieving Advanced Ecotourism and Climate Action Business certification supports the Daintree EcoLodge & Spa’s commitment to continuing to protect the important environmental and cultural heritage surrounding their property.
Being a boutique style accommodation, Daintree EcoLodge & Spa has 15 eco-friendly lagoon, canopy and rainforest bayans, nestled into the natural environment. No television and no WIFI means that guests can be fully absorbed in nature but still enjoy daily room service and high quality organic food, which add elements of comfort and luxury to their stay.
Original constructions of the lodge were undertaken to exist in harmony with nature and in respect the area’s Indigenous heritage. Today, the lodge utilises a custom-built sustainability tool to measure its existing and ongoing emissions.
Other sustainability initiatives at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa include:
- The lodge produces its own renewable energy. 13% of its electricity is from solar panels.
- As a carbon neutral property, the lodge’s greenhouse gas emissions are offset via a Gold Standard Carbon Credit Project through WithOneSeed, which protects forests in East Timor and provides local employment opportunities
- The use of e-water systems to avoid chemical use on site
- A partnership with Rainforest Rescue to assist reforestation of areas of the Daintree that have been impacted by human development
- A state-of-the-art waste water treatment plant that allows 100% of the water to be recycled and used for irrigation and watering
- The removal of p/c amenities to reduce excess plastic waste
- Supporting the anti-straw movement to help clean up oceans
- A sustainable veggie patch which provides the chefs with a constant supply of fresh produce for guest meals
- Introduction of chickens which lay eggs daily for use in the lodge’s kitchen
- The introduction of recycling and composting of waste
- A commitment to sourcing local, organic, free range and fair-trade produce and products
- Financial support to two local primary schools
- Ongoing relationship with Douglas Shire Council including involvement in community initiatives aimed at training and developing locals in business, hospitality and tourism
- Provision of an in-room interpretative guide to all guests, including aspects of local culture and respect (to be finalised in 2018).
Guests at the lodge can also take part in the guided rainforest walk (as well as other tours), giving them an opportunity to learn about the local native flora and fauna as well as local cultural history.
Staff aim to leave guests with simple take home environmental messages, to ensure sustainability principles are not forgotten once guests get home.
Congratulations once again to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa on achieving Advanced Ecotourism and Climate Action Business certification!
[Photos: Daintree EcoLodge & Spa]