Fair Food Forager: the app making it easier to find local ethical food
Ecotourism Australia's newest Business Members, Fair Food Forager (FFF), is a new and exciting web-based app that makes it easier for you to find fairer food experiences - the FFF app will provide a location-based service to help people find delicious food that supports environmental sustainability.
FFF was founded by Paul Hellier who, after finding it challenging to find cafes or restaurants that wouldn't serve food in disposable cups and polystyrene containters, simply wanted to create a search platform based entirely on businesses that cared about the environment,
Fair Food Forager aims to minimise packaging waste, minimise food waste and food miles, lower animal cruelty and support community groups and local food production. The online searching platform, which can be accessed on a smart phone, making it easy for consumers to find local food businesses that make their best effort towards the environment. The app works on three levels:
- Foodies have a selection of cool, caring and compassionate food businesses at their fingertips,
- Caring businesses get the recognition and support they deserve,
- As a society we cut back on some of the unnecessary waste, food miles and emissions associated with food.
Ethical business owners can create an online account and list their café, grocery store or restaurant, and consumers are also encouraged to list their favourite ethical food experiences.
Want to change the way the world eats? Right now, FFF want to enlist, enthusiastic, health conscious, environmentally aware foodies to help populate their website and app in order to assist anyone else searching for a low impact meal.
You do this by:
- Shopping for food (as you would normally)
- Eating out in your home town or while travelling (as you would normally)
- Loading your discoveries directly to their website
- Taking photos and tagging us in your social media posts
- Sharing your listings with your network
- Sending images to us to share on social media (we will credit you)
- Speak to the owners of your discovery, do an 'impact audit' on their business then provide them with a page on the website / app once we ascertain where their strengths lie
- Share your images and stories with our social media friends (giving you credit)
- Lead others to your favourite business by featuring them in newsletters etc
- Feature you in a blog, newsletter or social post
It's just about living your life as you normally would, but thinking of helping others discover what you already know, and having fun while you do it. Help FFF change the way the world eats, one meal at a time!