EcoGuide Certification is a national program, recognising guides who deliver an authentic, environmentally responsible and professional experience. The program is owned by Ecotourism Australia and operated in Australia by Savannah Guides.
EcoGuide certification provides a professional development framework for Tour Operators, Protected Area Managers and accredited training deliverers. Ask how EcoGuide certification and associated training can create motivating structures for your organisation.
How does the program work?
EcoGuide benefits include:
- Practical guidance to implement sustainable practices and more meaningful experiences
- A recognised industry qualification and competitive edge in the tourism market
- Tourism industry recognition of quality ecotourism guiding, including on Ecotourism Australia’s website, Ecobytes newsletter and Savannah Guides newsletter and social media
- Certificate and use of an internationally recognised logo on your marketing material
- Networking and professional development opportunities with nature based guides and operators
- 25% discount to the annual Global ECO Conference
- Friends of Savannah Guides Membership and event discounts
- Free listing on Ecotourism Australia’s Find an EcoGuide webpage
Applicants can also add the national Certificate III in Guiding qualification to EcoGuide assessment. Contact Savannah Guides for further information.
The EcoGuide Certification process includes assessing:
- Generic Guiding Skills including knowledge of the tourism industry; roles and responsibilities of a guide; communication skills; safety and risk management; group management; developing and delivering tour activities; and content knowledge.
- EcoGuide Specific Skills including minimal impact principles; a commitment to ongoing professional development and respecting Indigenous culture.
To be eligible for EcoGuide Certification you must:
- Have at least 12 months guiding experience, OR
- Hold a guiding qualification (e.g. Certificate III or IV in Guiding) and have a minimum of 3 months full time guiding experience
To become an EcoGuide:
- Complete the EcoGuide Application Form and email it to Savannah Guides (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can return the form (printed, completed and scanned) or simply include the required details in an email. Include your credit card details or pay your $130 Application Fee by EFT into the account on the form.
- Savannah Guides will email your receipt and editable PDF EcoGuide Workbook. You have 12 months to complete your application.
- Submit your completed EcoGuide Workbook along with your Curriculum Vitae, qualifications and current First Aid Certificate. Successful applicants become Provisional EcoGuides on payment of the $99 annual fee. Incomplete applications may be submitted a second time.
- Complete an onsite or tailored verification with an EcoGuide Assessor that we will help you arrange. This can be in person, which may have an additional cost to cover Assessor expenses, or using video or other technology. You must submit your Activity Plan and demonstrate competency in leading a tour group, presentation techniques and minimal impact guiding.
For more information download our EcoGuide Essentials summary.